The « Peace Classes » it is the education of children for peace, non-violence. They learn to listen, to understand each other, to respect each other, to help each other, to become friends, to build the future!
If you want to set up this project in your school, do not wait anymore, contact EGD asbl. We can organize a meeting and choose the formula that best meets your expectations.
The « Peace Classes » are held once a week in kindergarten or primary schools. When children follow « Peace Classes », they become aware of the importance of peace inside and around them. They learn to develop attitudes and skills that fit more peaceful relationships with other children, their families and society.
The activities contribute to understanding and putting into practice the concept of peace. Through cooperative games and cooperative learning, children learn to develop values such as cooperation, friendship, helpfulness and love.
The focus is on:
- Participatory learning of universal human values practised in daily life,
- Solving social and personal problems based on students’ experience,
- Conflict resolution,
- Taking into account various forms of injustice and violence,
- The development of attitudes, knowledge and skills of active peacemakers. In this way, students will develop both inner peace and peace around them.
“If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children.” Mahatma Gandhi
The « Peace Classes » offer an animation program from the kindergarten to the sixth primary. A program for secondary is developing.
This program is built on the basis of four stages that are developed each year in the « Peace Classes »:
- Universal Human Values
- Conflict resolution
- World citizenship
These five types of activities with children follow one another in time. The program for each school year covers these stages. They thus contribute to understanding and putting into practice the concept of peace. We start from building a friendship to develop the potential of children. Then we go through the integration of the ability to become a peacemaker. Finally, the children think about world peace, to get involved personally.
Global Education and Development ASBL offers four formulas for « Peace Classes »:
- Animation: a facilitator comes once a week in class to teach the « Peace Classes »
- Coaching: the facilitator comes to class once a week and trains the class teacher throughout the year. The latter becomes autonomous in the animation of the « Peace Classes » of the following year while continuing to be in contact and supported by the coordinator of the project.
- Teacher training: the teacher is trained and then supervised to give quality « Peace Classes » and encouraged to continue.
- Training of the education staff: the supervisor is trained to make the link between the « Peace Class » and the daily life of the students. He will be able to observe from a different perspective what is happening in his class to enable him to resolve conflicts in the most appropriate way.